Saturday, January 02, 2010

Soldier of the Queen

My BASS 2009 hasn't arrived, but I have my OHenry Prize Collection and the opening story (chosen as the best by two of the three judges) is "An Ordinary Soldier of the Queen"




An Ordinary Soldier of the Queen

I'm going to ask the Queen. I'm going to tell her what I know and ask her what is true, and if she winks at me, well, there will be trouble. This is me, Seamus Todd, born in 1955, ordinary soldier of the Queen and very little else, and this is my testament, which is honest, true, and factual .If I haven't seen it with my own eyes, then I have left it out. There's more than enough cheap talk and I don't want to add to it.



Once again, no big-bang, not even a little bang.

But a very good story that was published in The Paris Review and now OHenry.

No comments: